Monday, July 5, 2010

Flattest Walk in the Berkshires

I enjoy taking Nessa over to Stockbridge on a beautiful day. There are several do-able hikes with dogs in the area, but I confess one of my favorite walks is just from one end of Main Street, down by the town hall, all the way to the other end, where the country club and cemetery reside. For anyone who is adverse to hills, this is a great, scenic walk - and a walk without hills is hard to come by in the Berkshires.

Most people walk the few blocks down the main drag of Stockbridge and end at the Red Lion. If you keep walking, you will see beautiful homes (and if you check out some side streets, even more beautiful homes), lovely gardens, and at the end, a view of Monument Mountain overlooking the Stockbridge Country Club.

My very favorite part of the walk (and I realize this is not everyone's cup of tea), is to walk through the cemetery, which features many 19th century graves (and maybe older ones I haven't found) with interesting inscriptions, statuary, etc. It's not a huge cemetery, but I feel as if every time I visit, I find a new path and something interesting to study. Make sure to walk across the street to the other section of the cemetery that gives you a great view of the golf course and the mountains beyond.

1 comment:

  1. I have just stumbled upon your blog and have found it very enjoyable. My wife has accepted a position in Pittsfield and we are preparing to relocate from Illinois within the next 6 months. We are looking forward to discovering the Berkshires and will visit your blog occasionally to help acquaint us with our new home. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Berkshires

    ReplyDelete